Overview of the strategy
Mexico’s national AI strategy has five areas of focus:
1. Governance, government, and public services
– Create an AI steering group
– Design the administrative framework of the Office for AI, which will support the implementation of the national strategy across departments
2. Research and development
– Create a national center for AI research
– Strengthen collaboration between academia and industry
– Map use needs for AI, reform IP law, create a data sandbox, and create incentives for AI research and development
3. Capacity, skills, and education
– Develop official programs and certifications for Mexican civil servants and AI training programs
– Broaden AI education beyond computer science and teach computational learning in school
– Increase the number of master’s and PhD programs in AI and data science
4. Data infrastructure
– Maintain an open data infrastructure
– Create datasets that are representational of Mexico
– Update and reform privacy laws to address privacy issues with AI
5. Ethics and regulation
– Anti-competition law should be reviewed and reformed to address the value of data
– Create a Mexican AI ethics council to issue guidelines and set quality marks
Data governance in the strategy
- Does the AI plan mention data governance?
- Does the AI plan discuss open public data?
Yes; the government should maintain and share core data services which describe the country and provide information relating to the delivery of public services. It should consider curating, funding, and establishing a governance framework for data sets in priority sectors as part of the precompetitive stage.
- Does the AI plan discuss proprietary data?
- Does the AI plan discuss personal data?
Yes; the Mexican Institute of Access to Information and Personal Data Protection (INAI) should review, update and/or create new data protection regulatory frameworks to keep pace with innovation and striking the right balance.
- Does the AI plan discuss the mixing of data (hybrid)?
Yes; the strategy suggests the creation of a data sandbox to facilitate the sharing of data between researchers and industry.
- Has the government consulted with the public on its AI strategy?